Wednesday, January 18, 2012

What's in a Name?

Hello!

Ah, life is moving ever faster here.  Yet, there are moments of stillness and silence when the Lord's quiet voice is so easily heard.  On the night of the 16, over to the 17th i was on night shift.  Little did I know that the Lord would have a special blessing in story for me.  I was tired and thought that, really, the perfect blessing would be to have a quite night so we could all sleep!

  After sleeping for about an hour or so, a patient came in and it was my turn to check them in (and in 10 minutes we would all have a labor of our own...all 4 of us!).  If she stayed, she would be "my" patient.  At 2:15am we admitted her.  She was 6-7cm.  The only complication was her dates.  Either she was 34 weeks (thus premature) or she was 38 weeks and good to go.  It's a real bummer to be so off because it makes such a difference.  Based on other signs such as her fundal height (how big her belly was), the grade of the placenta (from the ultrasound - it was later in her pregnancy so it's not very reliable for due dates), and the amount of fluid.  So, the supervisor decided that we could just monitor her and see how things were going.

About 20 minutes after being checked in my little patient said, "Te, you are always the one i see.  It was you, then a Filipina, and now you are here again."  Then a contraction came, so she was momentarily distracted.  Then she siad, "Will you name my baby?"  Whoa!  This does happen from time to time.  Often they already have name, but sometimes they don't.  I agreed to be thinking of a name.

Over the next four hours i monitored her and she labored and slept when she could.  Then came shift change.  She had started to become very "pushy", but we always encourage them to keep breathing as long as possible to ensure the full dilation of the cervix.  Do to the unsure nature of labor and my great need of sleep I endorsed her to another midwife.  Ensuring my patient that my good friend would take care of her I went home looking forward to hearing the story!

At 11:30-ish that morning the midwife I passed off to texted me to say that the patient said i would name her baby so could i please text her the name.  Wow!  so taken a back. I had mentioned the name to her, but, well, it was a rather intense moment.  So, i texted back the name... Brandon Allen.

So, later that afternoon I was over at the clinic and stopped in to see her.  What a lovely reunion!  We had a wonderful time talking about her birth (no tears, controlled labor, healthy baby boy!)  She asked how I got the name, so i told her from my brother and my dad.  Her other son was named after her dad.  It was such an honor and a special occasion.  Thank you Jesus!

(pictures to follow)

No comments:

Post a Comment