Friday, December 23, 2011

Catch # 7&8

Hello!  So it has been a while, and well, time has been FLYING.  Since writing last I have caught two more babies.  You can read them both, but honestly, "#8" is far more exciting.  hehe.

Catch #7:

At endorsements (one shift coming on and one shift leaving) we were given a labor (maybe two?).  Joy was endorsing a labor, however, she wanted to stay and assist because  she had spent time with her all day.  Assist she did!  Shortly after endorsement we were both in the cubicle.  Our patient was ready to push!  After some very hard laboring and a little midwifery help, she delivered a baby boy. Precious Jusha.  Everything was fairly normal.


Catch #8 - The Exciting One:

Setting the Stage: It was Friday Swing shift and the Filipina Christmas Party was being held upstairs and overlapping the end of swing shift.  The supervisor on shift was also in a presentation, so she was a bit detained.  We midwives had some details of our own to take care of...so, needless to say it was busy!

After endorsements we had distributed the labors and postpartum patients accordingly.  We were all busily taking care of our patients.  My patient had wanted to go to the hospital, but had been talked out of doing so, early.  She was having a hard time laboring. One of the gals on shift had to run upstairs, so she asked me to just keep and eye on her labor and if anything happened to call her...quick.

So, after a few minutes I headed out to check on her.  All was well.  It was at that point that I grabbed my patients chart to go back in to labor with her that I noticed that, as it happened, I was the only one standing directly in the birth room.  Please understand, everyone is within ear shot...all the cubicles are just curtains separating, it's a hot country, so there are lots of windows.  It's just that I was the only midwife in that room at that moment.

Upon leaving my patients cubical a sound overcame all other sounds of the outside hustle and bustle of a Christmas party, "NARSSSSS, NARSSSS, NARSSSSS!"  So, I pop my head into the other cubicle completely expecting to just tell the patient that I would go get her nurse ASAP.  She and her bana expectantly looked and were releaved when the call was answered, but seeing as I was just going to go out she motioned so strongly that I obligingly went to her.  "Good idea," I thought.  This was I would be able to just to check on things and give Ruth (her midwife) a better account of the situation.

As it turned out, it was my turn to start yelling!  My check revealed a head sticking out.  Within moments gloves were dawned, my yelling continued, and a baby was born!  It wasn't exactly "ideal", but it was exciting.  The baby was a healthy baby girl born.  Her name is Rhian.  People began returning within minutes and we began working like a well oiled machine without missing a beat!

Although every birth is a miracle and it's obvious that God is truly the One presiding over it all, there are certain births that bring this truth to the forefront of everything else.  This was one such birth.  Just amazing.  Thank You Jesus for being in the midst of all I do!!

P.S. it was so crazy, I didn't even get pictures!  Hopefully at a baby check...pray I remember. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment