Thursday, November 17, 2011

It's Cultural...

Some days are funny, some are sad, some just are, and some, well, some hold embarrassing moments that often afford a good laugh after the fact (occasionally in it).  Today was one such day of the later.  My friends and I headed out to a coffee shop around 10, since the mall doesn't open open until then.

We had been there about an hour and a half.  The inevitable happened.  Nature called, but because this coffee shop is in the mall there is no CRs (comfort room) in the coffee shop, thus requiring a trip out into the mall to track down one of the CR's there.  No big deal, that's pretty normal and this mall is really nice and new.

I left my friend in the coffee shop to dutifully keep watching over our computers and "valuables."  Upon entering the CR it dawned on me I wasn't carrying any toilet paper, which is always a responsible thing to do in a foreign country.  Then, it occurred to me that this is a well established place and they would probably supply some in the CR.  I passed 5 school girls who were taking up the entire counter and mirror and entered a stall.  Immediately, I realized there was no toilet paper there.  What a conundrum.  I headed back out, but my pride was far to big at this point to even consider the reality that they probably hadn't even noticed me in which case it would be possible to grab some toilet paper from the dispenser.  Instead, I washed my hands...right next to the toilet paper dispenser.

Yup, that's right.  If you are in a public restroom (CR) it's very likely there will be a central dispenser near the sinks, but nothing in the stalls.  Well, I left.  Embarrassed, I went down to tell my friend (both girls appreciate these thing having lived in foreign countries).  We laughed and told each other embarrassing stories.  In the end: by the time we made it back out, well, we had to go to three different CRs before finding one that was stocked.

Just a cultural moment that one must laugh at.  Why was my pride so injured?  Because it's pride and that's what it does.  Now it's a good laugh and a lesson learned. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes! The tp dispenser out by the sinks! I can totally relate to your experience. If I forget to look before I go in the stall, I just come out and grab some. At our local grocery store, it is in the hallway BEFORE the men's and women's bathroom. No privacy there! And sometimes it is empty. :( Here is the other little thing in public restrooms that I have learned. Always check to make sure there is water BEFORE putting soap on your hands! :) Laughing at our mistakes it part of living cross-culturally, isn't it?! Love you Honey-girl! xoxoxo coco

    ReplyDelete